Lemon Slice Nebula

Lemon Slice Nebula
Hubble Image

Sunday, July 27, 2014

In Anticipation of Your Arrival

Five years ago I committed myself to learning as many true things as I can, to discovering the far reaches of the world I never knew, to always keeping an open mind, and to be conscious of my biases in everything. This was a remarkable change in perspective as I was raised to never look for answers because answers and even questions can be dangerous, troubling.

It seems that I am not alone in this background and this fear of questioning is widespread enough that it has the potential to impact science education and each country's position in the forefront of technology. Marilyn Winkelby and Judith Ned wrote the below in a paper examining the most effective measures to promote sciences in any youth in Promoting Science Education (Commentary):
     "An increasing number of reports document the decline of science education in the US and lack of personnel from the scientific, technical, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields in the US workforce. A 2007 survey of 923 California elementary school teachers from 80 school districts found that 80% of teachers spent less than one hour each week teaching science, and 16% spent no time doing so. Over 40% of the teachers felt unprepared to teach science whereas only 4% felt unprepared to teach math."
They describe the solution as being one outside the classroom. They noted that 75% of Nobel Prize winners said their passion for science was inspired outside the classroom. So it is my intention to inspire interest in important subjects that are absolutely captivating if you only take the time to look.

 I have a podcast on the way as well which will feature various guests to offer gems of this inspiration and remind us of the enormity of the cosmos, the importance of lives far away and our role in it all. 


1 comment:

  1. I feel lucky that I had a few teachers that really valued science in elementary school. At least enough to make me want to explore it on my own as I got older.

    ReplyDelete